Thursday, August 12, 2010

Can i be fired from my job if i grow dreads?

i use to have really long hair in high school and i cut it because my parents and my ex girlfriend and her family convinced me that i would be taken more seriously in life if i have short hair with a clean and neat looking haircut. me being young and very influential i cut my hair all off and now that i see by me cutting my hair has made no difference on how people view me lol so i want my hair back. before i cut my hair off i was planning on getting dreads and then i started to see ALOT of people with dreads and i became less interested in the whole dread idea so now im starting to see less and less dread heads around i want to grow my hair back and get dreads (im different i cant follow the crowd i go out of my way to separate myself lol). so my questions: im black if that means anything lol





my hair is extremely short like 1mm damn near bald lol how long would it take for me to grow my hair back around to 10-12 inch range?





i work at best buy as a car installer and hopefully soon a lube tech at carmax. i kno at best buy there is a black guy that works in computers and he had a afro about a inch in length and they said he had to cut his hair. but since i work on cars and i rarely interact with customers could i be fired or written up for growing my hair?





as far as the way i look would it hinder my job?





i have alot of tattoos but the only visible one is my full sleeve tattoo of some Japanese art.


i have 0 gauge ears in both ears and diamond studs above the gauges in both ears.


i plan to get dermal anchors on the back of my neck (maybe) and start my half sleeve on my other arm.





i mean they are pretty lenient on us installers because we all have alot of tattoos (honestly what mechanic or any one that works on cars doesnt have tattoos?) not that i have tattoos and piercings because i work on cars they just seem to go hand-n-hand.Can i be fired from my job if i grow dreads?
Yes, they could fire you (assuming you live in a US state whose employment laws would allow them too) but if they are willing to let you have visible tattoos and gauged ears I'm betting they probably wouldn't; especially since dreads are considered fairly tame when compared to tattoos %26amp; gauges. Unless there is a stated dress code of some kind that strictly prohibits it I say go for it if you want to. And if they really make a big deal about it I know that in the US at least, there have been a couple of people who have successfully sued employers that fired them for having dreads by claiming either religious (Rastafarian) or racial discrimination. I'm not saying you should, but if they threaten to fire you, mentioning it might help.





If you want to grow dreads then you def should. Also, I personally think that dreads are the one of the only styles of long hair that looks good on guys - provided they are clean and well kept, not the nasty, unclean, matted clumps that some people have.Can i be fired from my job if i grow dreads?
Blah, blah, blah. It's not up to us, it's up to your boss.


Sooooo why don't you ask your boss?


There's a good boy...
COULD they fire you? Yes. WOULD they? You'd have to ask them.
If you grow dreads you may be putting yourself in harms way because of the moving/sharp automotive parts your hair could get caught on/in.
Im just answering the title question. YES you can be fired. All depends on how strict the company is and it's policy for the appearance of it's employees. (Sucks don't it?). But my it took my uncle's dreads a year to get to his shoulders. Now hair growth is different! I wish you luck with your job and hair :)
Yeah i supose, depends on your boss though. you might be lucky.


I know this is totally unnecessary but your description reminded me of travis out of gym class heroes :D
  • acne scar
  • windows web hosting
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment