Thursday, August 12, 2010

Can i dreadlock my hair naturally at 4inches?

I was thinking of just using residue free shampoo from dreadheadhq.com and twisting it.





I am a white male with thick poofy hair. Sort of curly. Some say it looks like a jewfro if that helps.





If this would work, how often should i use the shampoo, should i put rubberbands by the scalp to separate each dread, and should i get the dread amplifier spray to lock quicker? Also, should i grow it a little longer first or is it better starting of short? Does hair grow longer faster as dreadlocks?





I dont want to backcomb, Do i have to?





*Dont tell me you dont like dreads or not, just answer the questions please!!Can i dreadlock my hair naturally at 4inches?
Naturally means you don't do anything other than wash-- meaning no twisting and no bands! They are awesome, but they will be insanely messy for a while, so be ready for that! Sounds like it will easily dread on it's own, most hair will, it's just a matter of how long it takes : P


(and actually, what I mean is twisting really isn't necessary, just twirling the hair won't do anything to speed up the locking, but palm rolling is great!-- just rub the hair between your palms : P )





No rubber bands! They should really only be used to section the hair before you backcomb then taken out right after, and since you don't want to backcomb (which is fine, you can just let your hair do it on it's own) but you really don't need to use them at all. If you feel like the knots forming are too thick -- meaning it seems like they are turning into one big dreadlock -- just rip the clump apart.





(I know you didn't mention it in your post, but I also recommend staying far far away from wax! check out here for more info if you're interested: http://www.dreadlocktruth.com/whynotwax.鈥?/a> )





The ';amplifier spray'; is really just something like salt water. Make your own! Get a spray bottle, and put some salt and water in it : ) -- it's hard to explain the ratio, but the best way I know how to explain it is that it should taste something like ocean water or tears! Salt water does lovely things for dreads it should definitely help if you go natural.





4 inches is fine I think. May as well start now (and I've always seen people say 3 inches is the shortest you should try).





Hair wont grow faster and you will actually lose some length. When the hair starts to knot up it is going to shrink a bit, and it may even seem like it's growing SLOWER because as new hair grows in it is going to knot up (which makes it shorter, the hair isn't straight anymore it's scrunched up in a dread!)





Washing once or twice a week is pretty typical. You want your hair to be clean! It's so silly that people think you need dirty hair to make dreads, greasy hair wont knot up nearly as well as clean hair! So wash as often as you'd like just be gentle because you don't want to disturb any knots that are forming.





So, I think that covers most of it! If there's anything else I can help you with feel free to use the link in my profile to email me : )

No comments:

Post a Comment