Thursday, August 12, 2010

Do I really need to tip?

Ok first let me start off yes i do tip and i find myself tipping less and less, and yes even at times the dreaded no tip. Yes I will no tip you. The way I see it is your already getting paid and before all you Hater Waiters start on me, yes i know you depend on the tips to make up for getting less then minimum wage. Which frankly it was your choice to take a job that pay less than a living wage, but you want to give me shitty service expect a shitty tip. If i get no service you get no tip simple as that. I am paying you for your time to help me enjoy a meal without having to be interrupted. I've have only had one waitress ever take so personally she felt she had to follow outside to my car and say, ';What the **** thanks for the no tip!'; To which i replied, ';I don't zero service.'; Let me say I am glade she stood up for herself. Now had she stopped me in the parking lot and said excuse me is there a reason i didn't get a tip i wouldn't had to tell the manager that I did not appreciate her following out to my car to curse me out. I told him that she was my waitress but I didn't get any service from her. I informed the manager that we did how ever tip two others on the wait staff and the hostess. The manager called over a waitress that I pointed out and asked her about it. and she said, ';Dude, me and Adam have been covering her tables all after noon but shes been sharing tips so I don't care.'; So the Manager fired the waitress on the spot. I felt bad yes but the she wasn't doing her job that had nothing to do with more than me not tipping her.





So I know that I am not a considerate guy but I am courteous. So I am from a small town and when I went to the barber's it was one guy that owned the place. So I never learned to tip em, or when the right time to tip is. My own lessons in tipping is from my work experience where I have received tips myself including waiting tables. Which as a matter of fact I received a $100, yes a bill for a ticket whose total was $15.73. He went to pay i started clearing the table and was a note covering a single bill with a glass on top of it. The note said thank your for the attention. When I noticed it was a Franklin I told my cousin who owns the restaurant, ';I think he made a mistake.'; I ran to him on his way to his car and told him that sir you made a mistake. Then he told me, ';No mistake your work ethic is superb and more people needed to improve on that trait. Your not the first big tip I've given and I've given bigger than that, but not once has anyone follow me to my car.





So that was 12 years ago when I was 17. I really took what he said personally, mainly because in this age where mastering a craft has been lost. It was only one word that struck something within, trait. I now had a trait. Now I find myself in a larger city and I went into a shop so i can get a trim. The lady cuts my hair but its not what I wanted i told he below the ear she went above, I told her I like the length on top don't touch it just clean it up. She cut inches off my hair my hair was so short. It looked ok, so ok I go to pay for it and I am asked to tip. I refused and walked out. I'm not stupid I know I can't go back there and I won't, and my quest to find someone I like continues.





I now how it works the girl pays for her chair so basically she's renting out the places and I'm employing her. She didn't come to me I had to go to her. Which had she came to me I would have tipped something at minimum I mean come on she came to me. I didn't get the hair cut I wanted but I did get a hair cut that I was ok with just had to wait a little longer to get the style I'm going for and I'll try again. If I hated it I would have said you know what just take it all off I'll start over which I have done twice after my barber died and I had to find a new one, and after they took it all off no guard I didn't pay and twice I had the cops called on me and twice they said we don't handle these kinds of situations. However tipping at a barber shop or Solon when do I tip regardless of it being a solo barber or someone that pays for a chair in a shop. Which I don't know to me if you own and you do all the cuts your self then you get all the profits because you are your only employee, so I don not see the reason to tip in that situation. As far as a solon goes my views are I came to you and i didn't get what I wanted, if I did then you would be my regular. So there you go your getting my business, because if I have to I will wait for the person I want. So i need help should I tip and why am I tipping them. I need evidence if you believe I should.





Thank you for your time.Do I really need to tip?
Bad luck. We don't tip that much here in NZDo I really need to tip?
You really felt the need to type up four big paragraphs justifying your stinginess? You must really be insecure with yourself.
Duuuuude, was all that really necessary?





Yes, you need to tip. It's one thing to make a statement about bad service, and another thing altogether to force your waitress to pay a percentage of your meal because she was bad. She still has to pay taxes on your meal whether you pay or not. You don't have to give her extra money on top of that if she's horrible, but you're stealing from her if you make her pay for part of your meal, too.





So let's say you had a $20 tab. If she has to claim 8% on each check, and then pay taxes on that supposed income, perhaps she'd only pay $0.50 total, but it's the principle. No decent person forces the waitstaff to help pay for their meal.





Get it?
Wow! Just skimmed your question cause I really can't justify wasting too much of my life on Yahoo.





Re: tipping, it's common courtesy to tip at least 10-15%. For exceptional service, I've gone as high as 35. Excluding counter service, I've never not tipped no matter how bad the service. I figure it might not be entirely the server's fault. I mean the kitchen might have messed up or it could just be insanely busy and everyone's entitled to have a bad day.
Here's the thing... Let me first say, I am a server. I work in California, and here we make minimum wage, plus all of our tips. We are taxed on our tips which is, approximately, 10% of cash checks, and the actual amount of credit card tips





I try very hard to please my tables, and I really appreciate courtesy. For example: If you want a refill on your soda, and some more butter for your bread, please ask for them at the same time. This allows me to meet your needs, and my other tables'. I understand that you may have forgotten the first time, but maybe wait a few minutes for me to attend to my other guests as well. With courtesy like this, you will get good service and, in turn, you will feel happy to leave a good tip. We want to please you! If you get a server who really doesn't care, just give him/her what she deserves (10%).





But, if you get good service, please consider the amount of the check and tip by percentage. That system is in place for a reason, which is the amount of money you spend on food correlates with the amount of work I have to do, which I don't mind, in fact I prefer! Just keep in mind that the more you need, the harder it is to please all of my guests, and nobody wants that, right?!





Also, you are a dick.
I have done the no tip thing, for the most part I actually tip very well (here they do not pay tax on every table). I had one waitress that was so rude and actually said to me when I ordered garlic bread ';it isn't premade so the cook will actually have to like it make it for you, so do you really want it?'; Even when I told her yes I wanted it I still never got it and at the end of the meal when it was on my bill I pointed it out and she said ';well if you want it so bad I guess the cook could make it now';. I do not however, ever tip my mailman
First off, about 98% of your question is pointless. If you don't tip at all, there should be a damn good reason for it. I go out to eat a lot and very rarely have a problem with the waitstaff...Reading your question makes me think that your expectations may be too high. There have been very very few instances where I have not tipped someone at all.





All in all, YES you really need to tip, unless the service was bad enough to talk to a manager about. (Or you want everyone to think you're a cheap ***)

No comments:

Post a Comment